Deena is a passionate advocate for every student!
Deena believes the Anchorage School District can do Better
Create a Learning partnership
- Students become lifelong learners
- Develop strong critical thinking skills
- Each student graduates from the ASD with a plan for success in their next step in life
Engage parents + community
- Intentional, comprehensive 2-way connection between schools/students and families/community
- Develop community mentors
Support teachers on the frontline
- Most important relationship for students
- They are closest to issues and solutions
- They are the face of our schools
As statewide coordinator of Great Alaska Schools, Deena works to make sure that “Educating Alaska’s Children” gets the focus and resources it deserves
- Listens to the concerns, issues, and priorities of parents and students, and respects different points of view.
- Advocates to state legislators in hearings, in their offices, in the hallways of the Capitol, and in their home districts, for adequate funding and appropriate legislation.
- Meets with educators, superintendents and school board members throughout Alaska to understand their local issues and learn about innovations and successes
- Attends ASD board and committee meetings, and meets regularly with Superintendent Bishop as well as other administrators, board members, specialists, etc.
- Presents on education advocacy to PTAs and community groups, professional associations, and many others.
- Stays informed by attending professional and community meetings and keeping up with national education news and innovations.
committed to working with state leaders on education
- Participated in Governor Walker’s 3-day, statewide meeting in June 2015: Building a Sustainable Future: Conversations with Alaskan
- Served on Tribal & Community Ownership Committee, Alaska Education Challenge
- Participating in ASD “Board Leadership Academy”
Deena has the skills needed to guide the large and complex Anchorage School District
- Masters degrees in Economics and Finance
- Graduate of Foraker Group’s “Catalyst” Leadership Program